Prep time: 4 hours to overnight
Serves 8-12 servings; about 10 cups
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into 3 pieces
- 3/4 cup of slivered almonds
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 1 cup almond vanilla milk (I prefer Almond Breeze)
- 1 12oz can evaporated milk
- 6 cups of cold water; divided in half
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl add the first three ingredients, cover and refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours but overnight is preferred.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks, minus one piece and place all ingredients from bowl plus the sugar to your blender. Blend until all ingredients are smooth; according your blenders manufacture instructions (e.g. Vitamix).
- Using a fine mesh strainer and several layers of cheesecloth over a pitcher/large bowl/large measuring cup; pour the blended ingredients over the cheesecloth using a spatula to help the liquid move through the cloth. You may have to repeat this process twice depending on how many layers of cheesecloth you are using.
- To the mixture, add in the remaining ingredients (i.e. almond milk, evaporated milk, 3 cups of water, and vanilla extract), mix to combine and refrigerator until chilled and ready to use.