PREP TIME 20 mins
COOK TIME 20-25 mins
TOTAL TIME 40-45 mins
It’s always fun to switch it up for summer time! Why not eat some delicious orange chicken out of a pineapple bowl? Try my pineapple shrimp fried rice recipe to go with it!
- 1 ripe pineapple; cut lengthwise with stem attached, cored and pineapple flesh removed leaving a ½ inch around the outside) Don’t discard the pineapple flesh as you can use some of this for my pineapple shrimp fried rice, smoothies, and or as a snack
- 2.20 pounds chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- Nonstick cooking spray (I always use coconut)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black coarse pepper
- 1 ½ tsp seas salt
- 1 green onion, sliced at a diagonal for garnish, optional
- 6 oz pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons blood orange preserves (try with apricot, pineapple or orange marmalade)
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce/tamari/coconut aminos
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 heaping tsp of garlic paste
- 1 heaping tsp of ginger paste
- 1-2 tsp Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and water and set aside.
- Using a large freezer bag or bowl, combine the flour, arrowroot, garlic powder, paprika, ginger, onion, black pepper and 1 ½ teaspoons of salt.
- Take the chicken pieces and place in the egg wash, but try to allow as much excess to drip off as you want to try to keep the flour mixture as dry as possible for even coating. The place the chicken pieces into the flour mixture and give the bag a shake or if using a bowl toss to coat evenly. Next, shake off the excess flour and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat steps until all chicken pieces are coated and placed on the baking sheet.
- Once all chicken pieces are laid down, spray all pieces with coconut oil or cooking spray of choice. Cook the chicken for 15 minutes to 20; flipping over at the halfway mark; if needed lightly spray the pieces again. Then for the crispy chicken pieces that we love, heat your oven to broil and cook for another 5 minutes or so until golden brown and crispy, be careful at this point as you do not want to burn your chicken.
- In a medium saucepan on medium-high heat, add all of the ingredients for the sauce whisking until combined and allow to come to a gentle bowl for 3-5 minutes. Taste and adjust accordingly, especially if you want more heat add more Sriracha. Once the sauce is to your liking turn off the heat. In a large bowl add the chicken pieces and pour half of the sauce on the chicken, giving it a good toss. If you desire add more sauce. Place the chicken in the prepared pineapple bowl and garnish with green onions.